Section Banner

Graduate Program

Program Summary
Degrees Offered
   Hydrology M.S., Ph.D.
Participating Faculty
   Academic 27
   Research 2
Admissions Deadline
   December 15
Program Administrator
   Tim VanHaverbeke

This page provides information on HSE Degrees, Admission, and Curriculum.

You can also access the CSM Graduate School online application.


The Hydrologic Science and Engineering Program currently offers the following degrees:

  • Combined Baccalaureate & Masters of Science, Hydrology
  • Masters of Science, Hydrology (thesis or non-thesis option)
  • Doctor of Philosophy, Hydrology


Currently, students will apply to the hydrology program through the Graduate School and be assigned to the HSE participating department of the student's HSE advisor. Participating departments including Chemistry and Geochemistry, Engineering, Civil & Environmental Engineering (CEE), Geology and Geological Engineering (GGE), Geophysical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering (ME), and Petroleum Engineering (PE).

Students applying to the Hydrology program must have a baccalaureate degree in a science or engineering discipline as well as the following coursework:

  • College calculus (two semesters)
  • Differential equations (one semester)
  • College physics (one semester)
  • College chemistry (two semesters)
  • College statistics (one semester)

Some prerequisites may be completed in the first semesters of the student’s graduate program. Applicants should have a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.2 for admission to the program. GREs are required for admission.

Financial Assistance

Applicants seeking financial support should indicate such within the application for admission. Support may be in the form of teaching assistantships (TA), research assistantships (RA) or fellowships. Generally, these awards are reserved for students pursuing a research-based program. To be considered for financial support, students should apply by December 15.

TAs are generally offered by March 15 for the next academic year, so are not usually available beginning with the spring semester. RAs are offered by individual faculty to students whom they expect will contribute quickly to a particular funded research project. Applicants interested in RAs should contact directly the faculty members whose research interests parallel their own.


Sudents are required to take courses from a "core list" of 4 classes, and a number of electives. A minor degree is not required for HSE graduate degrees.

Required HSE Classes:

  • Ground Water Engineering (GEGN 466, taught in the fall by Singha)
  • Surface Water Hydrology (GEGN 582, taught in the fall by Maxwell)
  • Contaminant Fate and Transport (either CEEN 580 taught in the fall by Higgins, or CEEN 584 taught in the spring by Illangasekare)
  • Principles of Environmental Chemistry (CEEN 550*, taught in the fall by Strathmann)
  • Fluid Mechanics for Hydrology (GEGN 585, taught in the fall)

*Students who plan to incorporate hydrochemistry into their research may elect to replace CEEN 550 with a two-course combination that includes an aqueous inorganic chemistry course (GEGN/CHGC 509, fall) and an aqueous environmental organic chemistry course (CEEN/CHGC 551, spring).

A seminar class is also required for graduation; different topics of interest are offered most semesters.

Links to Offered Courses, Requirements and Forms:

Details on the requirements for an MS or PhD in Hydrology, as well as a list of courses within the program, can be found here.

All graduate school forms and deadlines can be found here. We've also developed checklists for the thesis-based MS and PhD programs here. For information on how to choose your committee, click here.